Third Plateau, a growing multi-disciplinary social impact strategy firm, is looking for a self-directed professional to serve as a Grants Manager. The position will focus on grants administration across philanthropic client teams and the maintenance and development of the grants management system. The role will report to the Director of Grants Management.
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Remote with some location flexibility, with access to office space in the Bay Area and Sacramento. Please note that being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and Third Plateau, as we are not able to sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
Starting Pay Rate: (Non-exempt): $31.25/hour - $40.87/hour (Approximately $65,000 - $85,000 annualized)
A compensation committee of at least one department head, co-founder, and the COO will meet to discuss potential starting salary within the band by weighing the candidate's expected contribution in terms of previous experience and expertise against current Third Plateau employees. We commit to sharing the reasoning used to determine starting salary with you. The expectation is not for new team members to be hired with a starting salary at the top of the band, but to have a salary that adequately compensates experience and expertise while countering pay inequality and upholding internal parity.
Benefits: In addition to collaborating with an incredible team of social impact professionals, benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Regular high fives
- Generous paid time off
- Wellness program
- Dedicated professional development budget
- Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
What You'll Do
The Grants Manager plays a key role in our work both on behalf of philanthropic clients, providing grants management support across a wide range of clients and issue areas, and internally, enabling impactful grantmaking by building processes and competencies that allow the firm to facilitate funds to the community effectively, efficiently, and responsibly. The Grants Team holds primary expertise within the firm on the compliance and database management components of grantmaking.
The Grants Manager will be responsible for managing grantmaking compliance and processes as a liaison between Third Plateau staff and grantee organizations. This person will also be actively maintaining and developing the grants management system along with the Grants Team. We are seeking someone who is interested in effective philanthropy, with excellent attention to detail, organizational and communication skills, and an interest in database development. This position presents an exciting opportunity for a candidate with work experience in the private, nonprofit or business sector who is interested in the field of philanthropy and consulting, with the potential for growth and advancement.
Grants and client team administration (60%)
- Administer and manage pre-through post-approval grants processes including organizational due diligence, updating and tracking grant information in grants management system, generating letters, tracking payment and progress report schedules.
- Serve on client teams for assigned portfolio of clients, including scheduling meetings and preparing dockets.
- Coordinate grantmaking activity primarily with Third Plateau client teams and directly with clients and/or their staff.
- Support members of the Third Plateau client teams for grant and grantee-related questions, including providing compliance research, database management, and systems support.
Grants management system administration and development (25%)
- Serve as an integral member of the Grants Team to improve systems, implement new processes and policies, and strategize for future growth and firm needs.
- Manage projects and timelines with the Grants Team.
- Support system onboarding for new clients, including building client portals and supporting client demos.
Grants team strategic projects and communications (15%)
- Support onboarding for staff, including training peer colleagues on grant compliance, process and the GMS.
- Develop clear and compelling materials for client and business development purposes, including correspondence, presentations, reports and summaries.
- Actively participate as a key member of a collaborative team committed to positive culture, continuous improvement and community impact
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Relationship builder who is adept at working with diverse partners.
- Ability to research and apply solutions to technical issues, including database maintenance and developing processes within a grants management system.
- Technical aptitude and administrative experience with grants management systems.
- Excellent skills in writing, listening and oral communication.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Maintains high standard of quality, efficiency and attention to detail.
- Critical thinker and quick learner.
- Excellent judgement in handling unanticipated process, compliance, or system issues.
- Collegial and collaborative team player.
- Deep interest in the field of philanthropy.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience with grantmaking or grant seeking preferred but not required, including private foundations, donor advised funds, nonprofits, government grants, political giving
- Experience using and administering CRM databases (Salesforce and grants management databases preferred)
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with expertise in Excel preferred
- 2+ years work experience in nonprofit, philanthropy or business
How To Apply
If are you interested in applying, please take some time to review Who We Are and What We Do, and Our Commitment to DEI. After learning about us, submit your cover letter and resume to Lisa Long at [email protected].
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to only apply if they meet every requirement.1 If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to this field, returning to work after a gap in employment, looking to transition, or take the next step in your career path, we will be glad to have you on our radar.